Thursday, November 4, 2010

Bunions Due to High Fashion!

Stiletto Heels = Bunions

Bunions most commonly affect women. Some studies report that bunions occur nearly 10 times more frequently in women then men. It has been suggested that tight-fitting shoes, especially high-heel and narrow-toed, might increase the risk for bunion formation. Bunions are reported to be more prevalent in people who wear shoes than in barefoot people. There also seem to be inherited (genetic) factors that predispose to the development of bunions, especially when they occur in younger individuals.

i'm a fan of high heels. I wear them 5-6 times a week. I never really had any problems with them until recently. I guess its my fault for recently choosing heels with high arches like the one in the photo.  it was only after the Milo Marathon that i noticed something growing at the edge of my left toe. It looked like a bone deformation. I found it hard to accept that they could be bunions because that would mean i have to ease up on wearing high heels. 

it has now affected my running.  My left foot gets so painful when I run. I even bought neutral shoes thinking it would help. I  am currently looking for remedies to ease the pain.  I just bought a bunion sleeve at rox which i wore during my long runs. It has helped a little but done nothing to stunt the growth. 

I am thinking of having surgery after my first marathon in January. That means I have to stop running for 2 months! 






No comments: