Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2010: The Experience

The Standard Chartered Marathon in Singapore is the biggest marathon in Asia. I registered for this run last June 2010. I was really looking forward for this run since it will be my first international half marathon!

I left for Singapore last December 3, 2010. A few weeks before the run I already experienced ITBFS. The pain was unbearable everytime I would either walk or run. Last saturday, I decided to run 5k around the park near the apartment of my friend. I still felt the pain on my left while running. What's worse is it rained before we even got home. So we got drenched in the rain.During the afternoon while walking around Singapore I also noticed my right itb was hurting.

On the day of the race, I woke up around 4:30am and left around 5:10am rode a taxi to Sentosa. When I arrived, there were so many runners already standing near the starting point. I noticed a lot of foreigners joined the race too. I'm guessing they come from Europe.

The race started on time around 6:30am. Surprisingly it was still dark not like here in Cebu. The starting point was in the Sentosa bridge.

Here are the highlights of the race:

1km-6km: We ran from Sentosa Bridge and along the beaches of Sentosa. The road was not flat at all. A lot of uphill, downhill and side turns. Kept on stopping because my laces kept getting loose. First 5km was still able to maintain my pace.

6km-7km: We were inside Universal Studios Sentosa. It was fun to watch the mascots. I saw Kung Fu panda, a penguin and egyptians near the pyramids with rock solid abs!

7km-8km- We are now passing Resorts world Sentosa.

8km- 9km: We ran inside an underground tunnel going towards the exit of Sentosa. That's were i noticed my phiten necklace was gone!

9km-10km: We were already running in the streets of Singapore. I started to feel the impact of the slopes inside Sentosa on both of my legs

10.5km-13km- The sight was buildings around Singapore. We were now on a bridge. The thumping of my feet to the ground was painful. Had to walk many times

13.5- 17km- After walking only a few meters to drink in the water station. we went up another bridge going straight to the express highway.

16km- This is where we merged with the full marathoners and the runners in the 10km. The roads felt small because there were too many runners. A beautiful sight of the marina sands hotel.

18km-19km- This is where I hit the wall. The fast beat songs of my Ipod were of no use to me anymore because my legs started to feel numb. I saw a medical tent around the 18.5km and wanted to stop but then again I was less than 3kms away to the finish line. A view of the Singapore flyer.

Finish line
19-21km: The last 2kms of the run was so hard, I had to stop and stretch. There were so many runners on the road. One after another they passed by me. I also noticed a lot of runners on the side experiencing muscle cramps.

21km-21.2km- My watched stopped at 21km. Then I realized there were still 196 meters to go! G sulit gyud nila! When I reached the finish line, I immediately approached a volunteer and told her to take me to the med tent.

After the med tent, I limped my way to claim my finisher medal and food.

RunPix result












Results posted in 2 days.

Inspite of my injury still finished 1424th place out 11274 runners. Top 13%!
266th place out of 4,172 women. Top 6%!
74thplace in the F(20-29) age division out of 1965 women- Top 4%
5th place out of 144 female runners from the Philippines!
15th place out 435 runners from the Philippines!


NOW TIME TO REST!


My award!

4 comments:

katol said...

amazing abi! still a good finish inspite of your pain.

now it's time to get some rest. you will be better soon.

congratulations!

Jacob said...

Supreme effort from you abi, ITBS is no joke. Congratulations!

Epoy said...

Super Lola! hehe. Great great effort to run in ITBS!

The Scientist Runner said...

Congrats on a great run. Wat there too!
Check my post on the SCMS here: http://runningscientist.blogspot.com/2010/12/42k-photos-of-marathon-like-no-other-in.html
Cheers!