Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Heat Training

Last November 14, 2010 (Sunday), the group decided to have an LSD of 30k in preparation for Run Rio's Run United 2 in which most of the members of TTB are running 32k. I, on the other hand just opted for a Half Marathon because I want to give me legs time to recover for my first international half marathon this coming December 5.

Before the Heat came out


We were supposed to start around 4-4:30am but ended up with a late start. The route was similar to Citigym Halloween run but Rh1 added the 3 bridges to make the run longer. The first 10k was not bad at all. I maintained a pace of 6.2-7.0/km, which I felt was a relaxed pace. The first stop was ToTal gas station near the new bridge. The group bought drinks for rehydration and posed for some pictures. Then we proceed with our run going up to Cansaga bridge. 




Around the 11km, I can already feel the intense heat of the sun and about that time my Ipod was going crazy. I just followed the group and went under the bridge and went around the other side. By this time, I can feel the pain in my knees. It hurt so much that I had to slow down. After the cansaga bridge, the next bridge was the new bridge. The first half of the group can't be seen anymore. They were too fast. The other half was not visible in sight either. By this time, the pain went down to my calves and feet. 

arriving at shell station


A part of me wanted to stop and take a taxi because the heat of the sun was just unbearable. But I told myself the distance I had run is too short to stop so I continued. By the 18km, I was already on the tip of the old bridge. I can no longer exert effort to even jog so I decided to walk for 1km, which was basically the whole bridge. The 2nd stop was the shell station. When I got there most of them were already there and sitting down the pavement. We waited for the rest to arrive.
The TTB girls




After resting, we decided to continue and changed the route instead of running to reclamation, we opted to shorten the route and run to AS fortuna. Around the 20km, I felt pain in my knees and legs again. So I asked Ken to pace with me. I realized that having someone pace with you while running really helps a lot. It motivates you to finish the route knowing that someone is running beside you. It also lessens the boredom of running solo. Around As Fortuna, we basically run and walked while talking at the same time. Cecile taking pictures at the same time. I didn't feel the heat of the sun while walking it was more of the strong wind.

The third stop was Caltex station in banilad where in we stopped for drinks again and rested for awhile. Then afterwards we ran back to coffeecat. When we arrived, I decided to have a 1km cooldown around IT park. I ran a total distance of 27km with a time of 3 hrs 24 mins. I was running from 4:45 to 9am. I do hope that on our next LSD I can last 30km and the it would be a cloudy day!







No comments: