Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Running: My passion in life!

Dancing used to be my no.1 passion in life. It's all I've ever wanted to do. But running came along and took it's place. Since then it has changed my life completely. I've been running now for over a year and ran 23 fun runs.

One day I was a reading a blog things you need to need to do before you die.one of the items on the list was to Run a Marathon. Since I can't do that right away I started joining fun runs.

My first fun run was the Metro Sports 5k run. The route was from Metro Sports gym to Club Ultima. I felt like I was running for a very long time. While I was running I kept on asking myself why I joined and why is the finish line still so far away. My time was 40 mins. I realized that training was important to finish faster. So I did. I ran my 2nd 5k (rockNrun) a month after with an improved time of 32 minutes.

I continued my training and ran 3rd 5k run (October pink) with a time of 30 mins. On the same month I added another 1km and joined the Run to the Max 2 6k run of holiday gym n spa. I finished no. 77 out of 200 plus runners with a time of 40 mins.

I decided to go on a 6 week vacation and had to stop running. I got back to Cebu on the 16th of December and already 8 lbs heavier. That made me so sad. My friends told me that they registered for the Ateneo Sesqui blue 16k run which was on dec. 27. At first I was hesitant to run the distance bec. I had only a week to train and my longest distance was only 6k. I still registered and managed to finish at 1 hr 50 mins in spite getting lost along the way bec. of the stupid Marshall.

After the race, my friends told me that they had been training for their first 21k which will be held on Jan. 10. I told myself I have already conquered 16k, so what's another 5k more.I had another 2 weeks to train but since it was during the holidays I didn't get to run much.

When the date finally came, I was excited and nervous at the same time. I told myself I have to be part of the top 300 runners. My finish time was 2 hrs 25 mins 48 secs. I'm proud to say that I crossed the finish line before my friends except for 2. Belonged to the top 300 runners and no. 36 on the women's category.

One month after I ran my first 10k(Run with a smile) and finished sub60 with a time of 58 mins By March, I joined two runs the Quota 6k which I finished at a time of 35 mins and got my first top 10 award (8th place). Ran my first 12k(Citirun) with a time of 1 hr 13 mins.

By summertime, I joined 4 runs. PIA run,mandaue city run 5k which I got my best PR of 24 mins In spite of getting no sleep bec. I went out clubbing with my friends the night before. Found out i was 12th when i crossed the finish line. Rundaue(10k) and lastly the Adidas sundown marathon in Singapore.

My first international 10k run was an unforgettable experience. It was my first night run and it was in another country. Feels so different to run in a road with no cars.I ran with 4,264 women from 7 countries all over the world. Although I did not get a sub-60 finish. I still managed to rank no. 180th and went home with a finisher medal.

When I got back, The next run I joined was the planet sports run(10k) with my new pair of shoes. My adizero tempo. I managed to get a sub-60 finish time again of 59 mins 15 secs. The following month, I joined 2 runs. The fitness first 12k run wherein I got a new PR of 1 hr 10 mins and 6th place medal. This was the first time I used the Garmin watch and my first 15k run (Ayala run for kids) with a time of 1 hr 34 mins. That was an unforgettable run because my feet were chaffing from 7k onwards. Found out I was no. 11.

Around august I joined 3 fun runs.I ran run for the footure. My fastest 10k of 57 mins! All bec. Of jun. Fitness first trainer that paced with me until the end. 7th placed medal!:) Cdu dental 5k(26 mins 50 secs) and aboitiz 10k (58 mins 35 secs) with a 9th place award. Finished 9th out of 108 women that joined.on this same month, I met and ran with Team Tytsbodgo. When Richard asked me to join the group's long run I had my hesitations since I haven't met anyone of them. My love for running and my need for training for my upcoming 2nd 21k made me shove my shyness away and joined them. I got surprised that by the end of the run I instantly became their new member! Never really thought that after a yr of running I would belong to a running team.totally no regrets for joining the run. :)

With the help of the long run trainings of the team, I ran my 2nd half marathon with more energy and less stops and finished with an amazing PR of 2 hrs 18 mins 40 secs. I joined another 10k (glamour run) on the same month.

This month, I ran Conquer the hill: run to the max 3 16k which included an uphill run to Marco polo. Did not get a new PR but still okay since this time i ran/walked uphill, had walk breaks and picture breaks. After the 10k mark, I actually did not mind the time I just wanted great pictures and I did! Lots and lots of it! I also registered on first marathon!

To this day, Running's greatest gift to me is a leaner body and new found friendships!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Go, Go, Go, Abi!

katol said...

wow! very well said Abz. continue to express yourself thru your stories.

run and have fun!

welcome to blogging!

Glam_483 said...

Hehe. Thanks! I have to edit this. Forgot to include my fastest 10k sa run for the footure. :)

katol said...

if you're not sure with the settings i.e. spacing in between sentences and/or paragrapgs... you can write on MS Word and once done copy paste the post to the blog. then if needed, change lang ang font size and press enter in between paragraphs.

goodluck!